Home / BokoHaram / Breaking: Boko Haram set to release Chibok girls – AP

Breaking: Boko Haram set to release Chibok girls – AP

Boko Haram is ready to free the more than 200 Chibok young women and girls kidnapped from a boarding school in 2014, the Associated Press (AP) on Wednesday quoted an unnamed negotiator as saying.

In return, the sect demands the release of its captured leaders.

The report came on a day military authorities announced the capture of the suspected masterminds of the recent Jos and Zaria massacres by the sect.

The AP quoted the negotiator as saying that Boko Haram’s current offer is limited to the Chibok girls.

The new is a reopening of an offer made last year to the government of former President Goodluck Jonathan to release the students in exchange for 16 Boko Haram detainees, the negotiator was further quoted to have said.

“The man, who was involved in negotiations with Boko Haram last year and is close to current negotiators, spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to reporters on this sensitive issue,” the AP reported.

Presidential adviser Femi Adesina said on Saturday that Nigeria’s government “will not be averse” to talks with Boko Haram. “Most wars, however furious or vicious, often end around the negotiation table,” he said.

loading...

Check Also

Osinbajo’s Remarks During His Meeting With South East Leaders

Text Of Opening Remarks Made By The Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, San, At The Meeting …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

nine − 3 =

loading...